Bradley County Schools
800 South Lee Highway
Cleveland, TN 37311
Phone 423 476-0620
Fax 423 476-0485
School Safety and Security
The misson of the Safety and Security Department is to provide and evaluate the safety and security of our school campuses. Many questions you may have can be answered by reading our Parents Guide. To get a PDF of the guide to print, click Parents Guide.
Be Prepared for a School Emergency
· Ensure that your child's emergency contact information is accurate and current.
• Become familiar with your schools' emergency communication procedures.
In Case of a School Emergency
Although your first reaction would be to call or rush to your child's school, please follow the tips listed below:
· DO NOT call or rush to your child's school. Phone lines and staff are needed for emergency response efforts.
· DO NOT phone your child. Staff and students are discouraged from using cell phone communication for safety reasons.
· Tune in to local TV/radio stations for official school news alerts
· Check the school district's website.
· Rely only on official communication from school or public safety officials.
• Listen for official information regarding reunification with your child.
Emergency Terms and Procedures
Evacuation is used to move students and staff out of the building to an appropriate evacuation assembly point by a pre-designated route (if usable) to avoid a potentially threatening situation that involves the entire building.
Reverse Evacuation is used when a threat exists on the exterior of the school and school occupants are at risk of being harmed by the threat.
Shelter-In-Place should be used to protect school occupants from external threats such as high winds/tornado, some chemical, biological, or radiological releases and other natural and man-made threats.
A Lockdown consists of moving all students off playgrounds and out of exterior buildings and portables on the site and into the school, securing all entrances, and denying access to any unauthorized persons.
How Can I Be Reunited with My Child?
Reunification is the process of reuniting students with their parent, guardian, or other person listed on their emergency contact list. Reunification is conducted after an emergency disrupts the normal dismissal process and regular dismissal procedures cannot be followed.
Parents/guardians will be directed by school or public safety officials via TV/radio to their child's specific location. Students will be released ONLY to parents/guardians or other designated individuals who are documented as emergency contacts and who present a picture ID such as a driver's license, military ID, Permanent Resident ID card, or passport. The reunification process can be time-consuming, so parents are urged to be patient.